No butter, sugar or anything else is added.
Just yummy goodness of the sweet potatoes and the apples! The sugar from the apples mixed with cinnamon creates a sweet sauce. Super easy, delicious and can be made ahead of time!
Recipe is bumped up for Thanksgiving. Enough to serve four with plenty left over!
When I make this for just my husband and I, we use 1-2 sweet potatoes and 1 apple 🙂
- 4 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 3 Fuji Apples (or any sweet variety you like!)
- Cinnamon (LOTS!)
- Water (about 1 cup)
- Peel & chop sweet potatoes into bite size chunks.
- Boil the sweet potatoes in a saucepan until they just start to get tender (saves on time!)
- While the potatoes are cooking, core & chop apples into bite size chunks (I like to leave the skin on, but you can peel if you'd rather).
- Once potatoes are ready, add the apples to another large pan and begin to cook them over medium heat.
- Mix apples frequently - adding water to the pan a little bit at a time (just enough to coat bottom).
- Once apples start to soften, COVER them with lots of cinnamon, stir and continue to add water as needed (shouldn't need more than 1 cup total for the dish).
- Drain the potatoes, toss with MORE cinnamon and add to the pan.
- Continue stirring until everything seems soft enough to mash it up.
- Remove from heat, mash & enjoy!